tips from the little sis in college...
So, being the lazy high school student I was, college was a shock. Okay, not quite a shock, but it was definitely harder than I expected. There are lots and lots of assignments and papers and seemingly unimportant details that you will end up writing 8 page papers about.
When I think back, there are some little things that if I would have done them in high school my life would have, now, been so much simpler. {this is particularly for those future BYU kids, as that is where I am, but still applies to others} So I am going to share those now for any of you high schoolers who feel too cool for school.
1. Apply for summer semester.
2. Start working now.
~Work on your college applications now. Put your best foot forward where ever you want to go.
~Also work hard in your classes to get good grades through tests, not just participation points. They aren't looking for students who will show up and schmooze, that can be important too, but they are working for people who will work their tail off because that's what it takes to succeed in the real world.
3. Take hard classes.
~I used to think, oh it's just high school, it doesn't matter... Which, yes, to a degree is true, the classes don't really matter all that much. But what does matter are the skills and habits you develop. If you were the one who was doing big assignments last minute because you knew the grade would be relatively the same, start changing now. College doesn't work that way. Big assignments take a lot of time. You can't procrastinate and expect to get a good score.
~Also, I know a million people will tell you this, but take as many AP or college credit classes as possible. You will be learning most of the same material as the kids in your grade, but you get to receive college credit for it. Trust me, if there is a class you can skip taking in college, you will want to do that.
4. Manage your time and assignments.
~Study early. At the end or begin of every week take time to review and memorize all of the materials from the previous week. Even if you have the information down mostly, get in the habit of doing this for college. CRAMMING DOESN'T HELP IN COLLEGE. Finals will be no stress if you have been learning all of the information from the beginning rather then trying to get it all down perfectly the week before.
~Make schedules and list of what you need to do and then learn to follow them. If you do this now, sitting down to write that 8 page paper wont be as stressful because you will know you have 2-3 weeks to write it and you can be working progressively on it.
~Also, break the larger assignments you have now into smaller pieces and do them in pieces so you will never have to feel overwhelmed.
5. Find ways to keep motivated!
~Being motivated to go to classes is not any easier your first few years of college while you're getting your generals done. What I used to do is little fasts(cell phone, facebook, diets, goals with friends...etc.) to make every week a little different than before. If every week becomes exactly the same you will be so bored and want to drop out and die. (not literally I hope.) But if you start doing just small things in some free time, something different every week it will keep things diversified and fun! (for instance, right now Chantelle and I are going to all of the temples in Utah before the year's up!)
6. Get a job ASAP
~Learn how to work and have school at the same time. (this also has to do with managing your time, but it is crucial)
~Also, start saving money from your work now. You are going to want to move out, some may say living home is better, which it has its advantages, but moving out allows you to learn and grow and make mistakes and learn to budget and starve and deal with people and be independent.
7. Learn to love the Book of Mormon.
~It's true. I know it will all of my soul. Just read it and ask our Heavenly Father if it is, and he will testify to you. Then read it again and again and learn from it.
~It will bring you so much peace. College is chaos. It is a bunch of 17-25 year old out on their own trying to figure out what they are going to do with their lives. There will never be another time in your life when you will need more guidance. The Book of Mormon will give you the guidance you need and it will be the way to keep you grounded and happy.
8. GO TO SEMINARY AND LOVE IT!
~I always loved seminary but if I didn't have the "cool teacher" it was a bit of a drag, I'll admit. But I promise, the things they are teaching you are SO important! The scripture mastery versus are really some of the greatest versus to help you with the chaos of life. They bring clarity in this psychotic world we live in.
~Teachers teach you how to study the scriptures and they break down the stories so when you read them another time in your life, you don't have to be killing yourself thinking, oh no, what are they taking about, you can recall the stories and then look deeper to find why this story helps you today.
~These men and women were trained and chosen to teach YOU specifically. You were held in reserve for thousands of years to come down in this day and age when there is so much corruption on this earth. I always let silly little pride get me, thinking this teacher isn't super cool, why should I go? No, always when you think you don't need to is when you need to the most.
9. Learn to be happy with who you are.
~Walking around on campus can be a little... I'll use the work interesting. Everyone is so diverse. Even though most share the same belief, there are so many variations, and it is a beautiful thing. Never look down on yourself because you see a girl over there who looks so cute and you may not have gotten ready today. They question I always have to ask myself is, "Who is judging me?" and then "Why would I care if they are judging me?" and then realize that if anyone judging me, that sure sucks for them. I'm a freaking awesome person! (hah) But really.
~YOU ARE A FREAKING AWESOME PERSON! You are a child of God, a child of deity, a prince or princess. Isn't that amazing? {I realized.. pshhh why do I need to be a disney princess?? I can be a real one! (yesss!)}
So, just know, that I love you! (even if I have no clue who you are) You're great. You are amazing. You can do anything you set your mind to, you may just need a little help, and I hope that something I wrote can be helpful to you in some way. And know, if you ever are feeling stressed or need help, I'm here, just a click(hah) or a phone call or a text away.
When I think back, there are some little things that if I would have done them in high school my life would have, now, been so much simpler. {this is particularly for those future BYU kids, as that is where I am, but still applies to others} So I am going to share those now for any of you high schoolers who feel too cool for school.
1. Apply for summer semester.
~It is so much easier to learn what is expected from you during summer because it is a less intense schedule and it is shorter
~Work on your college applications now. Put your best foot forward where ever you want to go.
~Also work hard in your classes to get good grades through tests, not just participation points. They aren't looking for students who will show up and schmooze, that can be important too, but they are working for people who will work their tail off because that's what it takes to succeed in the real world.
3. Take hard classes.
~I used to think, oh it's just high school, it doesn't matter... Which, yes, to a degree is true, the classes don't really matter all that much. But what does matter are the skills and habits you develop. If you were the one who was doing big assignments last minute because you knew the grade would be relatively the same, start changing now. College doesn't work that way. Big assignments take a lot of time. You can't procrastinate and expect to get a good score.
~Also, I know a million people will tell you this, but take as many AP or college credit classes as possible. You will be learning most of the same material as the kids in your grade, but you get to receive college credit for it. Trust me, if there is a class you can skip taking in college, you will want to do that.
4. Manage your time and assignments.
~Study early. At the end or begin of every week take time to review and memorize all of the materials from the previous week. Even if you have the information down mostly, get in the habit of doing this for college. CRAMMING DOESN'T HELP IN COLLEGE. Finals will be no stress if you have been learning all of the information from the beginning rather then trying to get it all down perfectly the week before.
~Make schedules and list of what you need to do and then learn to follow them. If you do this now, sitting down to write that 8 page paper wont be as stressful because you will know you have 2-3 weeks to write it and you can be working progressively on it.
~Also, break the larger assignments you have now into smaller pieces and do them in pieces so you will never have to feel overwhelmed.
5. Find ways to keep motivated!
~Being motivated to go to classes is not any easier your first few years of college while you're getting your generals done. What I used to do is little fasts(cell phone, facebook, diets, goals with friends...etc.) to make every week a little different than before. If every week becomes exactly the same you will be so bored and want to drop out and die. (not literally I hope.) But if you start doing just small things in some free time, something different every week it will keep things diversified and fun! (for instance, right now Chantelle and I are going to all of the temples in Utah before the year's up!)
6. Get a job ASAP
~Learn how to work and have school at the same time. (this also has to do with managing your time, but it is crucial)
~Also, start saving money from your work now. You are going to want to move out, some may say living home is better, which it has its advantages, but moving out allows you to learn and grow and make mistakes and learn to budget and starve and deal with people and be independent.
7. Learn to love the Book of Mormon.
~It's true. I know it will all of my soul. Just read it and ask our Heavenly Father if it is, and he will testify to you. Then read it again and again and learn from it.
~It will bring you so much peace. College is chaos. It is a bunch of 17-25 year old out on their own trying to figure out what they are going to do with their lives. There will never be another time in your life when you will need more guidance. The Book of Mormon will give you the guidance you need and it will be the way to keep you grounded and happy.
8. GO TO SEMINARY AND LOVE IT!
~I always loved seminary but if I didn't have the "cool teacher" it was a bit of a drag, I'll admit. But I promise, the things they are teaching you are SO important! The scripture mastery versus are really some of the greatest versus to help you with the chaos of life. They bring clarity in this psychotic world we live in.
~Teachers teach you how to study the scriptures and they break down the stories so when you read them another time in your life, you don't have to be killing yourself thinking, oh no, what are they taking about, you can recall the stories and then look deeper to find why this story helps you today.
~These men and women were trained and chosen to teach YOU specifically. You were held in reserve for thousands of years to come down in this day and age when there is so much corruption on this earth. I always let silly little pride get me, thinking this teacher isn't super cool, why should I go? No, always when you think you don't need to is when you need to the most.
9. Learn to be happy with who you are.
~Walking around on campus can be a little... I'll use the work interesting. Everyone is so diverse. Even though most share the same belief, there are so many variations, and it is a beautiful thing. Never look down on yourself because you see a girl over there who looks so cute and you may not have gotten ready today. They question I always have to ask myself is, "Who is judging me?" and then "Why would I care if they are judging me?" and then realize that if anyone judging me, that sure sucks for them. I'm a freaking awesome person! (hah) But really.
~YOU ARE A FREAKING AWESOME PERSON! You are a child of God, a child of deity, a prince or princess. Isn't that amazing? {I realized.. pshhh why do I need to be a disney princess?? I can be a real one! (yesss!)}
So, just know, that I love you! (even if I have no clue who you are) You're great. You are amazing. You can do anything you set your mind to, you may just need a little help, and I hope that something I wrote can be helpful to you in some way. And know, if you ever are feeling stressed or need help, I'm here, just a click(hah) or a phone call or a text away.
love
the little sis

Comments