madelyn ione starley
my dear grandma lived until the the last day of her 87th year.
although I am sad, and miss her, I can't help but feel overjoyed at her new state.
what a great miracle and a blessing to be reunited with her husband after these 20 years.
what a great miracle to live such a wonderful life as an example to 26 grandchildren and more than 50 great grand children.
what a great miracle to leave behind an old and tired body, to be reunited in a perfect state some day soon.
what a great miracle to truly witness the completion of her life and work on this earth.
I was blessed to grow up with her right across the street. I was given the sweet opportunity to live with her for the past few years. I feel I had the special opportunity to see how this life was getting harder and harder for her. Loneliness was a trial, as was her health. No soul would know it if they had not been there in the wee small hours. That was the strength and courage my grandma had.
I remember every morning as a kid when she would drive us to school her singing, "goooooood morning, good moooorning, we've dancing the whole night through. Good morning, good morning to youuuu."
I remember her shouting to my rambunctious 8 year old brother to "sit down and shut up" when she'd pick us up.
I remember all her animals, from her cat to her dogs, and how grandma would have me wash them for her.
I remember sunday dinners where I was blessed to get to know all my family, and learn to love them through her.
I remember soda crackers and 7 up at my bedside table every time I was ill.
I remember soda crackers and 7 up at my bedside table every time I was ill.
I remember her sweet cards every christmas and birthday, and how she NEVER, i repeat, NEVER forgot anyones birthday.
I remember seeing her out on her porch every evening waiting for the neighbors to stroll by and say hello.
I remember cottage cheese and mandarine oranges while we watched Arthor.
I remember cottage cheese and mandarine oranges while we watched Arthor.
I remember her as the birthday grandma and especially how she loved to dote one me on my birthday.
I remember how everyone says I look just like her.
I remember her texts at 10pm asking when I would be coming home so she knew which door to lock.
I remember her texts at 10pm asking when I would be coming home so she knew which door to lock.
I remember how it didn't matter where we were, or who we were with, if they knew me for years or not, my grandma would talk me up to high heaven as if I were a catholic saint.
I remember sitting at the counter and her coming and kissing my cheek or my hair and telling me I was so beautiful and so smart.
I remember when I lived upstairs how she would climb up, and nock on my door, then say, "I'm up on this couch when you have a free moment" and then she would sit and wait for me to come out and chat with her.
I remember how stubborn she was.
I remember her love for the gospel.
I remember how she would come home from any vacation with at least 26 gifts to give to all the grandkids.
I remember her black leather jacket
I remember how every time she saw me she wanted to slip me money. She always made sure I was more than taken care of.
I remember how she came to the rescue of my dear cousins and aunt when their father, her son, passed away, and made sure they were taken care of.
I remember her at every performance I ever had.
I remember her taking walks around the block with her dog.
I remember her asking me if I noticed her hair, or even better, when I noticed all on my own and how flattered she felt, yet at the same time brushing it off to not feel too proud.
I remember when almost every night we would say prayers together, and how fervently she prayed for each member of our family.
I remember her knowing my schedule and asking for it, so she could have a sweet simple breakfast ready for me so I could run out the door if I was in a hurry.
I remember her love of a good time and of gatherings.
I remember when she came over in high school to show off her new "jeggings"
I remember the countless times sitting at her computer helping her make sense of it all.
I remember doing little chores around her house when I was little to earn a buck or two.
I remember sleepovers with Kaysie on the upstairs fold out couch and being too loud.
I remember all the games she had, saved up from years of grandkids.
I remember cleaning out coupons from before I was born, or better yet, food storage and frozen items from her freezer from before I was born.
I remember secretly throwing away plastic cups, plates, and silverware that were deformed from going through the wash so many times.
I remember taco soup. and how she made it all the time, just because I loved it.
I remember funeral potatoes.
I remember how she would take the time to make two of every meal, so the meat eaters could eat meat, and the vegetarians could not.
I remember her stash of treats that we tried to hide from one another so neither could eat them.
I remember her fixing my grammar.
I remember her playing with my hair.
I remember her.
What a woman to come from.
I could not be more proud and honored to have such a woman as my grandmother.
I am so grateful I am so similar to her. I learned to love a good party and love good company. I am stubborn. I love grammar and am learning to love different culture and the arts. I love a good treat. I love people. I love thinking in the little details of someones life to make a small impact. I love to sing, even if i can't hear myself. Birthdays are a big deal. Family dinners are a big deal. A temper can be lost once in a while for a good cause. I learned to believe fully in the capacity of the heart to love.
I learned all of this and much more from that wonderful woman.
I love her dearly.
What a blessing to know that she is back with her companion eternally in peace and love.
I love you grandma.
till we meet again.
mandy sue


Comments