madrid weeks 7 & 8 (tbt)

These past two weeks I have felt like they trust me more and more. I know I just talked to you all about it, but I feel like they know they can come to me with any task and I am capable (whereas before they had to test me before to make sure I didn’t screw it up). For example, Sara, of team Spain, this week was prepping for interviews and needed me to organize the lists and informes that they would be using the next day during the interviews. This isn’t a grand task that, “Sheesh, I don’t know if I can do this.” But it always feels good to be needed, and to know they can trust you when they don’t have enough time to do something themselves. Clara always has things for me to do which is good, it is a lot of things that they have been wanting to get off the ground for a long time, and now that there are a few more hands around it is getting done. They are in the middle of switching over, again, the website to a new host, so I will be starting that on Tuesday (if they get it figured out by then) and I have been working on making sure all the information that we have from past grantees is updated on the old-new site so when it comes time to transfer it to the new-new site, it is a simple copy and paste job. It is starting to feel more and more like a real job and less like I am the little intern running about trying to figure out what to give her and what she is capable of or what will be not too boring but still useful. Instead they just focus on assignments that need to be done, for better or for worse. And I like that. 
For the Forth of July the other intern and I helped EducationUSA with an event they had and it was fun helping the little kids put together a craft etc. It is interesting how my brain thinks, “You’re a spaniard, I speak to you in Spanish” or “You’re an american, I speak to you in English” Because I was having to hardest time speaking to those little kids in English, even though giving instructions probably would have been easier that way. Once, as I was speaking Spanish to a little girl, her mom called me/corrected me saying, “My daughter speaks English.” in an offended tone. Oh well, you live and you learn, and you never can quite win. Other than that I am having a blast! Sad to see that I only have two more weeks in this beautiful country until who knows when. 

Comments

Popular Posts