I may need your assistance...
Well, I am writing an opinion editorial for my writing class(which is directed for the school newspaper) and when my mama read it she was offended by my harsh language... Well, I thought I was being humorous. Either way, I lightened it up a little, and now I need your opinion if I am being.... harsh. (keep in mind I wanted to pick a topic that is entertaining and that people would read and possibly laugh at) Here goes it!
Well, think back to when you first started dating your sweetheart. Was it magical? Did you feel giddy and excited? Now I'm not saying this will end once your married at all, but once you begin to spend every second together you may discover small things that are just slightly irritating about each other. If you are in such a rush to be married you don't have the time find these little things and work through them before the big event. Wouldn't you prefer to work out the issues while in the giddy love stage? It may be easier and more normal to talk about your boyfriends' weird quarks with a roommate or friend than it is to talk about your husbands'. Why not work 'em out early? You could gain peace of mind! Think of what your parents would think with you being so mature and fixing problems before they come. If you're not thinking to wait and date for you, do it for the folks.
Speaking of parents, think of the money they will spend on your wedding. Do you know the cost? Have your parents been saving for the event? If not, they may want the extra time also. Perhaps their dream for you has always been to give you the wedding you have always wanted. Now that you have found the kid, hint to them! Allow them to begin saving for the exciting event and allow yourself to take the extra time enjoying the dating process!
When I first started thinking about this, I thought, maybe I am the only one who thinks the way I do. I then asked Facebook, (because Facebook is the beacon of all truth) and I had a surprisingly large response. I posted, "Students at BYU should date a lot longer before getting married." Most of the responses were comical, but there was a glimmer of truth to them. One girl posted, "I know right? Second week into fall semester and I'm already engaged!!" She was teasing, luckily, but I do know some who have begun dating a young man who believe he is the one! One girl I know met her husband and two weeks later was engaged. I’m glad he is the one, that's wonderful! Let me quickly remind you, you met this man two weeks ago. Either way I am so happy you found him! You just may want to date him for the fun of it before the knot is tied.
Is waiting a year going to damage your relationship with this man? Probably not, you can take the extra time and prepare yourself for the married life. What role are you going to take as his wife? Don't know yet? Thats perfectly fine! Maybe you could take the time to get to know yourself as a woman and the things your companion will expect from you as a wife. Will you be the housewife who cleans and cooks? Or will you be working outside of the home? It could be to your benefit if you took the time to discover what role you will take on before you are supposed to take it on.
Marriage is one of the greatest blessings there is on this earth, but there is no need to rush into it. If they're the one they will still be the one six months from now, won't they? Dating should be fun, especially if you know you are going marry him! Go find a list of crazy things to do that will help you get to know each other and make it a goal to do them all! Maybe hint how you would ideally be proposed to, or the exact ring you want. You could possibly give the fella a chance to save up a few paychecks so he can really dazzle you when he gets on his knee. Maybe try to think of everything possible so the merging of two lives into one is a piece of cake, because I definitely want you to have your cake, and eat it too.
"Breed 'em Young University"
That's one nickname we've adapted. We may be the only university that is completely accepting of a female freshman in college getting married. We as women have been told for years that getting married is our salvation. We are the youth who have been teased by our grandmothers, telling us not to end up an old maid and our only purpose here at BYU is to find that eternal companion we all search for so desperately. We have seen the 23 year old unmarried woman and think, wow, I don't want to end up like that. But, ummm… What's wrong with being 23 and unmarried? Most importantly, why are the 18 and 19 year olds in such a rush to "get to the alter?" This is what I have to say to those freshman and sophomores who have found their eternal companion. Chill. You will have plenty of time with your sweet-y. Don't spend precious "getting to know you" time planning a wedding or consolidating your bank accounts. What do you lose by waiting and dating six months or a year? The better question is, what do you gain?Well, think back to when you first started dating your sweetheart. Was it magical? Did you feel giddy and excited? Now I'm not saying this will end once your married at all, but once you begin to spend every second together you may discover small things that are just slightly irritating about each other. If you are in such a rush to be married you don't have the time find these little things and work through them before the big event. Wouldn't you prefer to work out the issues while in the giddy love stage? It may be easier and more normal to talk about your boyfriends' weird quarks with a roommate or friend than it is to talk about your husbands'. Why not work 'em out early? You could gain peace of mind! Think of what your parents would think with you being so mature and fixing problems before they come. If you're not thinking to wait and date for you, do it for the folks.
Speaking of parents, think of the money they will spend on your wedding. Do you know the cost? Have your parents been saving for the event? If not, they may want the extra time also. Perhaps their dream for you has always been to give you the wedding you have always wanted. Now that you have found the kid, hint to them! Allow them to begin saving for the exciting event and allow yourself to take the extra time enjoying the dating process!
When I first started thinking about this, I thought, maybe I am the only one who thinks the way I do. I then asked Facebook, (because Facebook is the beacon of all truth) and I had a surprisingly large response. I posted, "Students at BYU should date a lot longer before getting married." Most of the responses were comical, but there was a glimmer of truth to them. One girl posted, "I know right? Second week into fall semester and I'm already engaged!!" She was teasing, luckily, but I do know some who have begun dating a young man who believe he is the one! One girl I know met her husband and two weeks later was engaged. I’m glad he is the one, that's wonderful! Let me quickly remind you, you met this man two weeks ago. Either way I am so happy you found him! You just may want to date him for the fun of it before the knot is tied.
Is waiting a year going to damage your relationship with this man? Probably not, you can take the extra time and prepare yourself for the married life. What role are you going to take as his wife? Don't know yet? Thats perfectly fine! Maybe you could take the time to get to know yourself as a woman and the things your companion will expect from you as a wife. Will you be the housewife who cleans and cooks? Or will you be working outside of the home? It could be to your benefit if you took the time to discover what role you will take on before you are supposed to take it on.
Marriage is one of the greatest blessings there is on this earth, but there is no need to rush into it. If they're the one they will still be the one six months from now, won't they? Dating should be fun, especially if you know you are going marry him! Go find a list of crazy things to do that will help you get to know each other and make it a goal to do them all! Maybe hint how you would ideally be proposed to, or the exact ring you want. You could possibly give the fella a chance to save up a few paychecks so he can really dazzle you when he gets on his knee. Maybe try to think of everything possible so the merging of two lives into one is a piece of cake, because I definitely want you to have your cake, and eat it too.

Comments